About Camps & Services
Traverse City’s Noon Rotary Club’s first major community service project was to raise funds to establish a camp for youth, believing that all youth would benefit from time spent exploring the northern Michigan wilderness. In 1923, that dream became a reality with the purchase of 450 acres in the Spider and Rennie Lakes area. Originally used by 4-H clubs, the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts, the camp later became known as Camp Greilick and was the home for Boy Scouts. The Club later purchased property on Bass Lake for the Girl Scouts.
In 1955, all the land acquired was turned over to a new nonprofit corporation called Rotary Camps & Services, the official land-holding arm of the Rotary Club of Traverse City. Rotary Camps & Services owns approximately 1700 acres of property in Grand Traverse County and 17 acres in Leelanau County, known as Discovery Center Great Lakes.