Rotary Camps & Services
In 1923, under the leadership of Club president Clarence Greilick, the Club purchased 450 acres of land in the Spider Lake and Rennie Lake areas. This was the Club’s first major community service project. The club raised $1,100 for this purchase and an additional $7,500 for 27 acres with Rennie Lake frontage. The goal was to create of a youth campground for 4-H clubs, the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts. In 1955, all of the land acquired was turned over to a new nonprofit corporation called Rotary Camps & Services. When oil was struck on that same property 1976, the Rotarians focused again on the community and the future.
Rotary Camps & Services now owns over 1,700 acres in Grand Traverse County and nine acres in Leelanau County. It serves as a landowner and property manager for Camp Greilick (Boy Scouts), Camp Sakakawea (Girl Scouts), East Creek Reserve, and the Discovery Center & Pier. Camps has also served as an incubator for organizations, such as the Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy, the Grand Traverse Regional Community Foundation, HomeStretch and NorthSky Nonprofit Network.
The Club membership elects the Rotary Camps & Services board members from within its own membership ranks, thus ensuring accountability to the Club, but also ensuring primary service to the community.