Greilick Outdoor Recreation & Education Center
The Flagship Property
In 1923, Club President Clarence Greilick proposed establishing a community camp for area youth. The original purchase price was $1,100 for 450 acres. An additional $7,500 was raised to purchase an additional 27 acres of Rennie Lake frontage.
In 1955, Rotary Camps, Inc. was formed and the property was leased to the Scenic Trails Council Boy Scouts of America to establish Camp Greilick. In the mid-1970s oil was struck on the property. Al Arnold, a Traverse City Rotarian and lawyer, negotiated extraordinary royalty terms with royalties of 25% until all production costs were met and 40% thereafter. The first royalties were received in 1977.
In 2003, a conservation easement was placed on the property with the Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy.
In early 2017 Camps & Services made a commitment to try to re-boot Camp Greilick as a new multi-user facility for our region.